Knitsense

Personal thoughts on knitting, crochet, and other aspects of my life...

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Singles: Looking For Mates

I have a problem. You've heard of SSS - otherwise known as the dreaded "Second Sock Syndrome?" Well, I have SAS. That's right, SAS - "Second Anything Syndrome."

Let's trace it back to the beginning. Somewhere around 1990, I took a class to learn how to make socks. In that class, we made a baby sock and were to complete the second sock on our own. I never did. Here is my first single.



I must say when I look at the detail of this sock, I am pretty impressed with myself...not a hole to be found along that gusset. And, the toe looks neat and clean. Did I do Kitchener? I can't remember; but, I don't do Kitchener as well today.

I managed to rationalize never finishing my pair of baby socks because I figured that it was more of a learning experience and I didn't know anyone to give baby socks to, so I bought some nice cotton-blend yarn to start a pair of socks for myself.

Well, I did learn well. Here is my next single.



Not long after, I gave up knitting for several years. It wasn't until February of 2002 that I started knitting again. I had some DPN's from before; but, there was a new Fiber Trends book out called The Magic Loop. I bought the book and decided to give it a try. After practicing as instructed in the book, I continued on to what they suggest you try as a first Magic Loop project, Ribbed and Ruffled Wristlets. I made a wristlet...my next single.



A little over a year ago, it was announced that my boss and his wife were expecting twins. I will make them a set of baby hats. Quick and easy...no heels to turn, no gusset stitches to pick up...I should be able to crank this out. I finished the girl jester hat, never started the boy hat. And, my next single was born.



Then on to cashmere wristers...how many do you see?



Last August, I went to Stitches Midwest and took a great class to learn to make Beaded Wrist Warmers. As you can see, only one of my wrists will be warm.



This past February, I went to Florida where I bought a beautiful skein of Tilli Tomas sequined yarn and made this single fingerless mitt.



Over the summer, I bought a skein of Elsebeth Lavold Angora and mixed it with a novelty yarn to make this one mittlet (actually, I still haven't completed the thumb--notice the stitch holder) . Do you see a pattern here? I guess if I were Michael Jackson, it might be okay to wear just one glove; but, since I'm not...it's not.



I am currently attempting to change my (evil) ways. This hat and bootie set was originally started for K whom I work with when she was also pregnant with twins. I needed 2 hats and 4 booties. I completed 1 hat and 1 bootie, until recently when I made the 2nd bootie completing this set and have given them away to C who just had a baby boy. Whew!



A couple of weeks ago, I decided it would be fun to make a list of all the projects I still have on needles. I won't reveal how many there were. I may tell the number in a future post; but, suffice it to say that if Guinness has a world record on this topic, I could be in the running. Since making the list, I have curbed my Castonitis and focused on finishing a few things. Specifically, I made the deal with myself that if I finished 5 UFO, then I could cast on something new. The booties and hat shown above was #1. These tennis socks are FO #2. I started them a year ago and had completed just one, of course, up to only the toe.



Kudos for me! I have also finished a pair, yes, it's true...a pair of socks. And, before I cast on again, I will give at least 1 of the singles shown above a mate.

The countdown continues...49 Days Until Stitches

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home