Knitsense

Personal thoughts on knitting, crochet, and other aspects of my life...

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

SP8 Package Received


Look what my Secret Pal sent me! What a lovely box of goodies. There is some beautiful blue brushed alpaca yarn, a nice note, and goodies from her home state of Iowa including informational pencils, dill mustard, dog treats from the local dog bakery, and treats for me ...Craisinberry Crunch and Roasted Field Corn.

Also being from the midwest (born and raised in the Chicago area), I am quite familiar with corn, and corn fields. As a matter of fact, thinking about this reminded of my summer of skydiving.

Many (too many) years ago, I learning how to skydive, spending about 7 weeks time and completing a total of 5 actual jumps. The small airport where this all took place was in Hebron, Illinois. Now, in Illinois, there is the Chicago area, and the rest of Illinois...which is all flat and filled with corn fields. Hebron was located in this area of Illinois.

The airport was located across the road from corn fields. Every jump I made, I landed in the corn fields. I tried and tried; but, it didn't matter...each time I parachuted over the airport where I would wave at my instructor and the other skydivers below, cross the road (and the telephone poles), and ultimately land amongst the corn stalks.

The first jump, early in the summer, didn't matter too much. The corn was about knee high. However, by my last jump which was only about 7 weeks later, the corn was way taller than me. The corn was so tall that I could not find my way out. Yes, I was lost in the corn. Embarrassingly, my instructor had to come and rescue me from the corn fields.

That was the last time I went skydiving.

Thanks for the memories, Secret Pal...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home