Knitsense

Personal thoughts on knitting, crochet, and other aspects of my life...

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Happy Birthday Blue Jeans!

Blue Jeans is 4 years old today. His birthday gift...he finally has a forever home.

Blue Jeans was my foster Greyhound...my first foster. Well, technically my dog Rumor was my first foster; but, I don't count him because I never intended for anyone else to adopt him. I knew we would adopt him from day one.

Blue Jeans last race was in the middle of May. About 2 weeks later, I picked him up at the animal hospital where he had been neutured, had his teeth cleaned, vaccinated, wormed, etc.

He lived with us for 5 weeks and it is amazing how quickly I became attached to him, and him to me. We wanted to adopt him even though we live in a very small house and already have 2 Greyhounds. But, he showed us pretty clearly that he preferred to be the only Greyhound in the family and was very willing and ready to soak up all the attention. So, I had to let him go.

A fabulous couple living in the South End of Boston adopted him. They have no other dogs and no children...just 2 cats. They will totally spoil him. They already have a list of things they are buying for him, the doggie bakeries they will take him to, his daily walk schedule, and a local Greyhound group that meets for weekly walks. How wonderful is that?!?

I feel good about what I did for Blue Jeans. I was his coach...his tutor...for 5 weeks. I taught him how to get in a car, go up and down stairs, and how to live in a house. I know he will be happy where he was placed. So, this morning, on his 4th birthday, Blue Jeans was picked up to be delivered to his home. Though in tears, I gave him a hug and a kiss and sent him on his way.

And, still I am so sad. I really miss him...

Happy Birthday, Blue Jeans!



More information on adopting or fostering a Greyhound can be found locally for NH through Greyhound Pets of America-Central New Hampshire Chapter, or nationally through GPA.

1 Comments:

Blogger stacyo said...

I know how hard it can be to give up a foster. I've fostered many and it's always bittersweet. Will they care for the pet the way I did? Will they be happy? You did a great thing getting him ready for a full-time family. Kudos to you. He sounds like he's got a great new home.

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home