Knitsense

Personal thoughts on knitting, crochet, and other aspects of my life...

Sunday, December 17, 2006

I'm In Love

... with Sea Silk yarn from HandMaiden. Sea Silk is a hand dyed 70% Silk and 30% SeaCell lace weight yarn that is to die for. HandMaiden describes SeaCell this way:
"SeaCell is a cellulose based fibre made from seaweed. It is highly breathable and very soft. When worn, your skin's natural moisture will release magnesium, calcium and vitamin E contained within the seaweed. It has anti-inflammatory properties and has been shown to protect the skin."
Holy Cow...It's not just yarn; it's a health aid! And, who do I have to thank for this luscious skein of yarn...my secret pal!

It has been said that good things come in small packages. And, clearly, as in this case, it is true. Many thanks to Clandestine Knitter, my SP9 buddy, for this wonderful gift! I have lusted after a skein of this yarn for probably close to a year now. It's gorgeous! I just keep looking at it and fondling it, and smelling it.

Doesn't everyone smell their yarn? In general, I do love smelling yarn; but, this yarn has a very unusual smell. You can actually smell the seaweed. It not only has healthy properties, it smells healthy. Seriously!


I'm going to really have to think about what I want to make with this skein...something that would be worthy of this soft and shiny silk yarn.

One idea that Clandestine Knitter had was the Swallowtail Shawl from the Fall 2006 Interweave Knits magazine. I like this pattern and even considered doing it before getting the Sea Silk. The Sea Silk is the perfect size skein for this shawl which calls for 400 m (exactly the size of the Sea Silk skein). However, Clandestine Knitter made a good point when she thought that it should be "something that was going to get worn next to the skin since that seems to be a big point of this yarn".

So for now, I will just stare lovingly at the yarn until I decide what to knit with it. Any ideas would be welcome.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! grumperina's working on a beautiful stole out of that stuff. It makes me want to find some too! As if I don't have enough projects in the wings, right?

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home